[access-uk] Re: Claiming VAT back on a PC

  • From: Glenn Tookey <Glenn.Tookey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:35:25 +0000

Gordon, as I see it, this one is to the advantage of blind people. The VAT
guidance is clear on computers, if they are adapted for the blind, then the
processor is vat exempt. As the processor cannot be separated from the rest of
a lap top, then the whole machine is exempt, whereas for a desktop only the
processor box is exempt and we have to produce calculation to show how much the
value of the processor is.

This practice has been active in the AT market for many years and at least 20
AT companies operate this procedure to my knowledge all over the UK.

Regards
Glenn