[access-uk] Re: Accessible real time bus information systems.

  • From: "Vince Thacker" <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:03:43 +0100

Hi again Jim,

These posts have given me an idea.

When my Dad wants to call the emergency services he just presses a medallion that hangs around his neck. This identifies him and works the phone.

Could something like this be used by one of these talking bus stop systems. ? It would then be possible for a visually impaired person to activate the speech at the bus stop on demand, and obviate the need to have the speech on all the time, if there is any possibility that people living or working nearby might get annoyed by the sound.

The medallions could be issued to registered visually impard people, much like keys to accessible toilets or Blue Badges.

Having said that, what if you wanted to travel in a different city or county? Hopefully such a system would be nationally recognised.

Just a thought.

Vince.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Shannon" <alexacts2v4@xxxxxxxxxx>