[access-uk] Re: ARTICLES FOR THE BLIND RULES

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:17:16 +0100

Hi Carol,

I wonder how many others in your area suffered the same
indignity?

Banks, building societies and all sorts send out braille
bills Articles for the Blind, and I'm sure that if this was
a regular occurrence, we'd all be hearing about it.

I'm inclined to suggest you telephone the local Post Office
Sorting Office in your area, and ask for an explanation as
to why Articles for the Blind was ignored in this case?

Now here's the section from RNIB's web page (Link below)
which I suggest makes things perfectly clear.  Note the
words "faithful copy" - which I assume would be true for a
utility bill.  My goodness, how many ways are there to say
"You owe us money."?

"Items not accepted under AFB"

"Music audio (more than two minutes or more than 10 per cent
of the total duration)"

"Printed material in a font smaller than 16 point, unless it
is a faithful copy of information that has been transcribed
into braille, tape, CD, disk or large print, and where it
accompanies the transcribed version."

The Tiny URL is:

http://tinyurl.com/0

The full URL which you can quote to the Post Office is:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/public
website/public_afbgl.hcsp

If the Post Office dig their heals in and refuse to refund
you, then unless there is a valid reason for not doing so, I
suggest taking this up with RNIB.

George.