[24hoursupport] Re: Resources Question

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:35:23 -0400

No, in all my years of struggling with Win9x I never found a freeware app
that could do this. But it's not hard to figure out - just watch your
resource meter while you open/close an app. You're going to find that both
those you mention are real resource hogs and worse - when closed they will
not return all the resources they took to open! This is one reason why
Win9x must be rebooted throughout the day.

There are several (some freeware) RAM Optimizers that try to regain some of
this slack, but I've never found any of them to be nearly as good as a reboot.

The good news is the newer versions of windows (WinNT - Win2K, WinXP) do
away with this nonsense and use main memory to deal with resources, so if
needed you can simply buy more RAM (won't work in Win9x).

At 05:03 PM 5/29/2002, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a program that will let you know where your resources
>are going?  I am barely using any and I have 32% resources. just OE and IE
>open.  I have windows 98 and OE and IE 6

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at