[24hoursupport] Boot Problems

  • From: "Barry Cornford" <cornyb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "24Hour Help" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 09:09:38 +1000

I have a Pentium133 with 32mb ram 3g Hard Drive running Windows 98 SE.
On boot up it came up with Hard Disk failure when you power off it will then
boot.

So thinking I have a Flaky Hard Drive, I purchased a new Seagate 20G Hard Drive.
Then the Motherboard would not reconise the bigger Drive, so I installed
Seagates Disk Manger.

Then inserted the New Drive and the Old Drive in another machine I copied ALL
of the contents including operating system.
I then put the New Drive back in the orginal machine and it would only boot to
the C:\ Prompt and not into windows.
I installed Windows over the top and everything seemed to work OK.
Left the Screensaver on and walked away, when I came back I was faced with the
Blue Death screen with the error message cannot write to Hard Drive.
Power off and it did not find the Drive, so I checked all leads and Started
again, this time it booted.
Shut dow and tried again same message Hard Disk failure.

Have I got a motherboard problem or IDE on the Board flaky.
And Clues as to what might being wrong?

---

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at