[24hoursupport] Re: Boot Problems

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:13:09 -0400

Certainly could be a failure of the eide controller. Since you have 2, have
you tried swapping the cable? Maybe a different cable?

And fyi: those disk manager programs are always more trouble than they're
worth. If you ever get around to reinstalling windows, try your best to get
things working without it.

At 07:09 PM 5/3/2002, you wrote:
>I have a Pentium133 with 32mb ram 3g Hard Drive running Windows 98 SE.
>On boot up it came up with Hard Disk failure when you power off it will
>then boot.
>
>So thinking I have a Flaky Hard Drive, I purchased a new Seagate 20G Hard
>Drive.
>Then the Motherboard would not reconise the bigger Drive, so I installed
>Seagates Disk Manger.
>
>Then inserted the New Drive and the Old Drive in another machine I copied
>ALL of the contents including operating system.
>I then put the New Drive back in the orginal machine and it would only
>boot to the C:\ Prompt and not into windows.
>I installed Windows over the top and everything seemed to work OK.
>Left the Screensaver on and walked away, when I came back I was faced with
>the Blue Death screen with the error message cannot write to Hard Drive.
>Power off and it did not find the Drive, so I checked all leads and
>Started again, this time it booted.
>Shut dow and tried again same message Hard Disk failure.
>
>Have I got a motherboard problem or IDE on the Board flaky.
>And Clues as to what might being wrong?

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at