[24hoursupport] Re: 486 case

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 18:37:48 -0500

Hello Raphael,

A 486 case could conceivably be used with a newer motherboard and
components, but it would likely require rather extensive modifications.

You would have to replace the power supply with a new one. The 486
specifications were different than today's in several regards, including
the connector types. Again, you might be able to rig it up to work somehow,
but ultimately you would have a rigged up case that may or may not work. It
would be faster, easier, and in my opinion ultimately cheaper to just buy a
new case with a new power supply. Good tower cases can be had for $100 or
less.

I agree with those who are saying the best way to go is to just get a new
case.

HTH,

Ron

On 5/5/2002 at 4:41 PM our kitty wrote:

>Well, so now there's differing opinions, and personally I just don't
>know.  I wouldn't want to fry a ATX mobo, and if it isn't powerful
>enough for a lot of add-ons, I can see getting a ATX power supply for
>the power if nothing else.  Can the AT case itself actually be adapted
>to an ATX mobo if also using an ATX power supply, or is it just a
>no-go?

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at