Re: [artworks] ArtWorks 2.7 goes multi-page

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:17:33 +0200

In message <b90605bf4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <cbc501bf4e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I regularly have a few (large and high definition) scans that I like to
>> stick together on separate pages.  I see that JPEGs are accepted by
>> Artworks at their native file sizes; it would be nice if the same could
>> be done for TIFF files, rather than storing them as Sprites.  Though PDF
>> sometimes achieves a similar compression to TIFF.
>
> Yes, the compression facilities offered by PDF are very useful.
> Unfortunately, that does not hold true for PDF files generated by
> ArtWorks. So far, direct PDF export does not use any compression,
> which means that the PDF files are unnecessarily big, in particular
> those containing (non-JPEG) bitmaps, but even without any bitmaps the
> files could be quite a bit smaller if the main content stream was
> compressed. This will hopefully change.

It will change in ArtWorks 2.7: I have just added a "Use compression"
option to PDF output. When switched on, the main content streams and,
more importantly, all embedded sprites (and their masks) are stored
compressed in the PDF file, which reduces the sizes of exported PDF
files significantly.

Martin