Re: [artworks] ArtWorks 2.7 goes multi-page

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:53:19 +0100

In message <de4174c04e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Actually, what would be useful is a way to group objects, but keep the
>> individual objects on their respective layers. But I'm guessing that
>> isn't likely to appear due to the way ArtWorks does its object handling.
>
> No, that is a contradiction. Grouping creates a group object that
> encompasses all the objects you group, so after grouping you do not
> have any individual objects any more that could exist on a layer. So,
> this request does not make any sense and I suppose, you really want
> something different.
>
> I guess, what you want to do is to create a collection of objects from
> different layers that leaves each object where it is but that allows
> you to perform operations on the collection at any time, e.g., moving
> or transforming the objects together or applying attributes to them.
> That kind of thing is a different feature. I have seen it advertised
> as an object "family" - I think Vantage had something like that.

ArtWorks already works this way with selections - tick multiselect
then select the objects you want in several layers layers. For as long
as the objects are selected you can operate on them as a set and they
maintain their own layers, unless you group them or put them on the
clipboard.

It would be very useful if grouping maintained the layers, or at least
kept a reference so that ungrouping could put the objects back on
their original layers.

For certain sorts of drawings I put every object on its own layer.
sometimes with alternatives versions for each object. I can then use
the hide layer facility to try out different "skins" Eg. a bicycle
with fat knobbly tyres, or skinny smooth tyres.  I would like to be
able to draw sub-components on a separate ArtWorks document and paste
them in to a master document when they are satisfactory. Unfortunately
because the layer information is lost in the transfer I end up having
to draw directly into the master document.

John

--
John Rickman - writing from A9home machine
http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk