[ZeroBrane Studio] Unity3D, expand tables in Watch and luaL_dostring()

  • From: Krisztián Sarnyai <coinoperatetadgameschris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:22:32 +0200

Hello,

Our gamedev team just started using ZBS and love it! Especially due to its
debugging abilities when paired with Unity3D and its uLua plugin.

Is this the right place to kindly recommend some further features and
improvements and ask questions? Please forgive my bad wording, I’m neither
a native English nor a programmer :)

1. Possibility to expand tables in the Watch Window: We find the expand
table feature in the Stack Window very useful. However, in the Watch Window
it is not possible to do the same. This way only the first few
table-elements can be observed. Is it possible to add expand to tables in
the Watch Window just like in the Stack Window?

2. Do not kill Unity: Currently ZBS kills Unity if some problems occur
(e.g. bad chunk name) and when we hit the Stop the currently running
process button. All Unity windows become closed immediately without any
message or confirmation. This causes unsaved changes to be lost. It does
not happen always, but it happens more often than not. And it is also not
easy to avoid hitting the button accidentally due to several other
circumstances. It would be good to have something like this instead:
- In case of error: do not kill Unity
- In case of Stop the currently running process button: do not kill Unity,
just stop the debugging and close the connection.
(Maybe these could be options in ZBS config files.)

3. Customizing the indentation: currently the “end” keyword becomes
indented correctly after we hit enter at the end of the line. Several team
members are more used to a behavior where the indentation happens
immediately after typing the last letter of the “end” word, even before the
enter. Is it possible to change (or config) ZBS to work in this way?

4. luaL_dostring() should work without filename: We need to run LUA code
with this function without loading a LUA file. However the debugger reports
errors like missing file and file is not in the project. In latter case it
even closes Unity immediately. Are we doing something wrong or this is not
yet implemented?

Thanks,
Krisztian Sarnyai