[zalzala] Fwd: Thirty-four members of Congress urge President Bush to grant Pakistanis TPS, to send more helicopters

  • From: pakistan@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ZALzala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 06:49:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "NCPA" <media@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: October 28, 2005 10:04:15 PM EDT
To: <pakistan@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Thirty-four members of Congress urge President Bush to grant Pakistanis TPS, to send more helicopters

.

Help the victims of Pakistan earthquake. Please donate generously to a charity of your preference.

Thirty-four members of Congress urge President Bush to grant Pakistanis TPS, to send more helicopters
WASHINGTON: Several members of US Congress in a letter have asked President George Bush to grant the Temporary Protected Status to Pakistan and to urgently send more helicopters to Pakistan for help in the relief work.

The letter, dated 10/28/05 and signed by thirty-four members of Congress, urges President Bush to “immediately add Pakistan to the list of countries designated under the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and to temporarily suspend the deportation proceedings of Pakistanis from the United States.” The letter also asks the president to send more helicopters to Pakistan.

“[We] insist that you utilize United States military and civilian resources to provide additional helicopters to Pakistan earthquake relief efforts.”

Last week, a bi-partisan bill, HR4073, was introduced in the House of Representatives by Congressman Al Green to grant Pakistanis the Temporary Protected Status.

TPS allows aliens who do not legally qualify as refugees but are nonetheless fleeing or reluctant to return to potentially dangerous situations to temporarily remain in the United States.

“In the past, our government has granted TPS to nationals of other countries in the aftermath of foreign natural disasters. For example, in October and November of 1998, Hurricane Mitch killed more than 9,000 people in Central America and TPS was granted the next month to over 86,000 Hondurans and Nicaraguans living in the United States at the time,” states the letter.

“Granting TPS to Pakistan nationals is consistent with the interests of the United States and it is the right thing to do,” the members of Congress tell President Bush. But, the members also ask the president to put the homeland security issues first while making a decision on the TPS.

“We urge you to direct the Department of Homeland Security to now contribute to the relief effort with our patience toward Pakistani nationals currently in the US and grant them TPS,” the letter adds.

Asking President Bush to send more helicopters to Pakistan, the letter says: “We understand that there are currently 381 US military personnel and 12 helicopters supporting relief operations in Pakistan. The Department of Defense has reported that 13 additional helicopters should arrive in Pakistan in the next few days. We are proud that our nation has already provided this assistance, more can and needs to be done without delay.”

“The United States must continue to do as much as possible to aid Pakistan. Time is of the essence because winter is rapidly approaching,” the bi-partisan letter continues.

Last week, a White House official told an official of the National Council of Pakistani Americans that the United States has committed a total of 33 helicopters, which according to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, were spared from several US operations around the world.

Several Pakistani American organizations have welcome President Bush’s immediate response to earthquake disaster in Pakistan. But, as the enormity of the devastation unfolded in the passing days, the groups demanded more US aid to save the survivors of the Oct 8th quake from extreme weather conditions.

A UN official in Azad Kashmir yesterday urged the international community rush the aid to the region.

Calling on the world to save tens of thousands of lives in the quake-hit areas, a UN spokesman said: "Frankly, I don't know how to say this any more clearly in plain English: 'It's now or never; we will not have a second chance'."

Following members of Congress have signed the Oct 28th letter:

1. Rep. Jane Schakowsky
2. Rep. Rahm Emanuel
3. Rep. Tom Lantos
4. Rep. Al Green
5. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
6. Rep. Al Gutierrez
7. Rep. Joseph Crowley
8. Rep. Major Owens
9. Rep. Michael Honda
10. Rep. Raul Grijalva
11. Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson
12. Rep. Sharod Brown
13. Rep. Jerrold Nadler
14. Rep. Jim McDermott
15. Rep. Carolyn Maloney
16. Rep. Elijah Cummings
17. Rep. Barney Frank
18. Rep. Jim Moran
19. Rep. Dale Kildee
20. Rep. Henry Waxman
21. Rep. Dennis Kucinich
22. Rep. John Larson
23. Rep. Melissa Bean
24. Rep. Jim Costa
25. Rep. Donald Payne
26. Rep. Cynthia McKinney
27. Rep. Bob Filner
28. Rep. Edolphus Towns
29. Rep. Carolyn Kilpatrick
30. Rep. Cregory Meeks
31. Rep. Chris Van Hollen
32. Rep. Betty McCollum
33. Rep. Jim McGovern
34. Rep. Lane Evans
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
Receive NCPA,info FREE, send an email to info@xxxxxxxxx or click www.ncpa.info.
Send your comments, reports, and feedback to info@xxxxxxxxx
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

HOW TO HELP?
Edhi Foundation
MKR Foundation
President's Fund
Int'l Red Cross
LIFE USA
Islamic Relief
Hidaya Foundation
ICNA Relief
Zakat Foundation -
Human Development Foundation
AmeriCares

Newsletter?

Copyright © 2003 www.ncpa.info All Rights Reserved
Home | About Us | Contact Us

This mail is not sent unsolicited.
You are getting it because you have subscribed to this list.