[yunqa.de] Re: WikiTaxi 1.0.3

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:52:15 +0200

Robert Pelloni wrote:

>This was sort of a solution to my issue with navigating to page categories- if
>there is a topic list, landing on the "Beatles" page would allow me to
>navigate to "Beatles members" and "Beatles albums", which would be next in the
>list.
>Also, this would be more efficient than searching, if you could simply type
>the first few letters of the subject in question.

The incremental search approach is limited. It could help you find pages
starting with "B...", but typing "a..." would not find "Beatles albums".

It boils down to a problem of numbers: Currently, WikiTaxi searches over 6
million titles for the English Wikipedia. This is not trivial, given that
WikiTaxi is a single-file executable which aims to work well on low-end systems
also.

For locating more detailed information, the test search (CTRL-F) function is
often useful. For example, "The Beatles" page contains an "albums" link to "The
Beatles discography" which is also a redirect from "Beatles albums".

>Perhaps the list could be generated once during the import process and cached?

This list is of little use to users IMO. Instead I feel that improving WikiTaxi
search will be more helpful. A few things come to mind:

* Add a "Go" button which does an exact page name search instead of a full text
search.

* Keep a "Search" button for a full text search as currently implemented.

* Exclude non-article namespaces (image:, template:, possibly wikipedia:, or
others) from the search result by default. Thus more real pages will be listed
for a greater choice of possible matches.

* Eventually add full Category browsing instead of displaying empty category
pages. However, this will add extra time to the import process because the
entire database has to be scanned to extract categories and build the category
tree. The database will also grow slightly. Browsing speed will not be affected.