[yshavurah] Steering Committee Minutes 1-18-04

  • From: "Cheryl Levine" <clevineys@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Havurah Listserv" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:57:15 -0800

Minutes of steering committee meeting 1-18-04
Toni Dosik, Elliot Gaines, Jay Rothman, Nance Parent, Abi Katz-Stein, Steve
Green were present.

  1.. Services on January 31st:
  We are going to ask Rabbi David Burstein to lead us.

  Abi to contact Rabbi, ad in paper, white grape juice and Challah.

  Steve and Cheryl will provide bagels and lox in honor of Steve's father's
yahrzeit.

  2.. Torah
  Jay has contacted Rabbi William Goldberg to assess the condition of the
torah. The cost will be $65 per hour and is expected to take 2 hours. Jay is
planning to bring the torah to Columbus on Thursday.

  3.. Ark
  2 options were discussed. The friends may allow us to build an ark into the
Rockford sanctuary on the right side of the fireplace. Behind this space is a
closet that we could occupy. The friends suggested that we contact the Zearfoss
brothers because they had done other work on the sanctuary and were able to
maintain the consistent appearance.

  The second option involves making a portable ark and storing it in the
closet. This option may be less expensive and it would allow us to use the ark
in the social hall or other locations.

  4.. Fundraising
  A tentative fundraising plan is as follows:

  The next step is to gather information about the cost of the whole project
(torah repair and ark).

  With this information we could begin soliciting donations.

  With some initial donations to anchor the campaign, a more general
fundraising letter could be sent.

  After or along with a general fundraising letter, letters tailored to more
specific individuals or groups may be used.

  5.. Use of the Torah
  We were all relatively comfortable with the precedent established in the last
service and would like to continue with a single modification. We agreed that
the torah service will be conducted, the torah will be opened to the par'sha,
no blessing will be said over the torah, but the reader will read from a
chumash or a tikkun. This is the approach suggested by Rabbi Misha Zinkow.

  6.. Liturgy Committee
  It was agreed that we would actively promote the formation of a liturgy
committee to determine which prayerbook we will use. Several people who we
wanted to nominate and/or expressed an interest in this were Susanne, Randi,
Abi, Nance, Larry and Cheryl. The issue of gender balance of this committee was
discussed.

  7.. Cleaning Rockford
  Discussion on this issue was postponed due to time constraints but it was
recognized that this encompasses 2 separate issues; cleaning Rockford after
services and something more like spring cleaning.

  8.. Shabbat Service Schedule
  The issue of our tentative shabbat service schedule was reopened because the
Havurah and Temple Sholom have both chosen the pattern of 2nd and 4th
Saturdays. In order to minimize this conflict we have agreed to change our
service pattern to the 1st and 3rd Saturdays starting with February 7th. We
agreed that it was important to have a clear pattern of when services were
being held so that service dates would be predictable.

  1.. Study Group
  The ongoing study group has narrowed its choices down to 3 books. A book will
be selected at a meeting to be announced.

Next Steering Committee meeting: Sun February 1st 4:00 PM at Abi's house