[yshavurah] Social Action

  • From: "Cheryl Levine" <clevineys@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Havurah Listserv" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:26:30 -0400

Here are some ideas from the Union of Reform Judaism, who is very organized in
their efforts for social action.  I'm also thinking that doing something
locally this time would be very good--that's the way I'm leaning.
Cheryl
"The Million Quarter Project combines both the universalistic and
particularistic strain of our tradition by reaching out to our kin -- the Jews
of Ethiopia -- who dwell in a far away land. There are 17,000 Jews remaining in
Ethiopia, facing hunger and poverty every day, yet it costs only 25 cents to
provide dinner for an entire family. This project is designed to collect one
million quarters that will guarantee and complement the one meal a day provided
to Ethiopian Jewish school children at the Jewish compounds in Addis Ababa and
Gondar, Ethiopia.Every quarter will go directly to these Jewish children.

This Shabbat Lech Lecha, Reform congregations around the world are uniting in a
global effort to raise funds for Ethiopian Jewry. This initiative will involve
the leadership from our pulpits, our lay-leaders and our Hebrew schools.
Fund-raisers, tzedakah projects and guest speakers will be a part of this
worldwide endeavor. With our combined and enthusiastic efforts we can collect
enough quarters to provide one million meals for Ethiopian children and
families.

Look for more information about The Million Quarter Project through your
temple, or go online to the Commission on Social Action site. This Shabbat Lech
Lecha we, too, can GO FORTH to an unknown land in order to pursue humanity,
compassion and justice."

Derech Agav:
Eighteenth century Chasidic Rabbi Solomon ben Meir ha-Levi of Karlin
(1738-1792) once said:

  If you want to raise a man from mud and filth, do not think it is enough to
keep standing on top and reach down to him with a helping hand. You must go all
the way down yourself, down into the mud and filth. Then take hold of him with
strong hands and pull him and yourself out into the light.

It is this same exercise that Abraham had to go through in order to understand
and experience the world around him. He needed to get dirty and venture forth
out of the comforts of his native land.

As we reach into our pockets to drop a few quarters into the tzedakah bucket
for Ethiopian Jews, let us not be satisfied, or think that we have done enough.
This is an important beginning -- a first step to helping our long lost kin
across the seas. However, there remain many within our own community and around
the world that continue to need our attention and concern.

To join the Religious Action Center's RACNEWS and receive legislative updates
on these and other issues of concern go to the Religious Action Center's Web
site.

      To address the tremendous humanitarian needs in the Sudan, the Union for
Reform
      Judaism has established the Sudan Relief Fund. To contribute to this
fund, click here or send checks payable to the Union for Reform Judaism (write
" Sudan Relief Fund " in the memo section of your check) to:

        Union for Reform Judaism, Attn: Sudan Relief
        633 Third Ave. 7th Floor
        New York, NY 10017