[yshavurah] Re: New Jewish Music CD

  • From: "Joe Lite" <jlite@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Clevineys@xxxxxxx>, <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:31:07 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

You can buy this online from ZC Music Group - url is=0D
=0D
http://www.zcmusicgroup.com/category/cd.php?cd=3DZC2075=0D
=0D
Joe Lite=0D
 =0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
From: Clevineys@xxxxxxx=0D
Date: Saturday, January 18, 2003 08:36:21=0D
To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=0D
Subject: [yshavurah] New Jewish Music CD=0D
 =0D
This CD sounds really good--=0D
=0D
THE SCENE =0D
=0D
=0D
=46rom God's house to the coffeehouse =0D
=0D
By Scott Alarik, Globe Staff, 01/16/2002 American folk musicians are in t=
he =0D
vanguard of a movement to modernize and personalize liturgical music. Jus=
as =0D
Catholic folk Masses and the inclusion of modern folk songs into many =0D
Protestant hymnals have changed Christian church services, new religious =
=0D
music is transforming the way many Jews worship. Boston-based scholar, =0D
writer, and educator Robert L. Cohen has produced more than 100 radio =0D
programs on Jewish culture, and is launching a series of CD anthologies =0D
called "Open the Gates! New American-Jewish Music for Prayer." Volume One
has =0D
just been released by the ZC Music Group. "The CD is a sampling of the mu=
sic
=0D
American Jews pray to today," says Cohen. "It is folk or folk-styled in t=
hat
=0D
it has the simplicity, the inclusiveness, that characterizes much folk mu=
sic
 =0D
It's often music to sing along to, not just be an audience for, as was a =
lot
=0D
of cantorial and cantor-and-choir-music." Of course, this new music rankl=
es =0D
some with more orthodox tastes. Cohen is quick to point out that most of
what =0D
is seen as traditional cantorial music is actually quite new, created wit=
hin
=0D
the past couple of centuries by European Jews. Just as that music reflect=
ed =0D
the musical tastes and religious needs of those times, his music speaks t=
o =0D
modern American Jews, Cohen says. "It's more music for having a conversat=
ion
=0D
with God, as opposed to what some of my baby boomer peers call `cathedral=
 =0D
synagogue music,' which is intended for vast synagogues. That music is st=
ill
=0D
very inspirational to some people, but it's more of a `God-is-in-his-heav=
en'
=0D
music, to declaim to a majestic God. This music is to speak intimately wi=
th
a =0D
more accessible God, and that's something I think people yearn for today.=
" =0D
Many will be surprised at how well produced and beautifully arranged most=
 of
=0D
the 18 selections are. A number of the musicians featured, such as Boston=
 =0D
acts Safam and Hanna Tiferet Siegel, have performed concerts and services=
 at
=0D
synagogues and Jewish community centers, as well as commercial music venu=
es.
=0D
Some perform liturgical music full time, others are also cantors, rabbis,=
 =0D
teachers, choral directors, composers, even superstars, such as sax-playi=
ng =0D
contributor Kenny G. The music is unmistakably Jewish, both in its
melodicism =0D
and religious lyricism, but with alluring splashes of contemporary folk-p=
op,
=0D
jazz, bluegrass, cabaret, even reggae. It's as appealing for its musical =
=0D
qualities as its spiritual. "To me, this CD is an offering," says Cohen.=20
You =0D
could say an offering in prayer, but I'm not a missionizer that everybody=
 =0D
should have religion, so I don't put it that way. I think of it as heart =
=0D
music, because it makes what Leonard Bernstein called `a direct hit on th=
e =0D
emotions.' It's heart-opening music; that's the goal." Look for the CDs i=
n =0D
Jewish specialty stores, such as the Israel Book Shop and Kolbo, both on =
=0D
Harvard Street in the Coolidge Corner section of Brookline. =0D
=0D
Clinical and Consulting Psychologist=0D
Positive Perspectives, Inc.=0D
680 E. Dayton Yellow Springs Road=0D
Fairborn, OH 45324=0D
(937) 390-3800=0D
=0D
Behavioral Science Coordinator=0D
"Mad River Family Practice:=0D
Ohio State University Rural Program"=0D
4879 US Route 68 South=0D
West Liberty, OH 43311=0D
(937) 465-0080=0D
=0D
And the end of all our exploring=0D
Will be to arrive where we started=0D
And know the place for the first time.=0D
--T.S. Eliot=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D