[yshavurah] Message from Abi

  • From: "Suzanne A. Smailes" <ag348@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:02:27 -0500 (EST)

FORWARDED FROM: /mail/ag/ag348(#15339) From:abi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Suzanne,

We will be traveling this weekend, so we will not be at Services.  =
Please
share this 'Meditation Before Saying Kaddish' on our behalf.  It comes =
from
the book "Grief in Our Seasons; a mourners Kaddish companion" by R. =
Kerry M.
Olitzky. =20

Not to mourn is to disrespect the deceased; to mourn excessively is not =
accept God's own bereavement of God's action.  Not to mourn is to =
trivialize
the sanctity of life, to mourn overmuch is to betray future life.

Agnon (a modern Hebrew essayist) suggested that the mourner's Kaddish, =
which
sanctifies God's name, is meant to comfort God.  For indeed, if we are
created in God's image, our death is God's diminution.  How do we praise
God's name?  An anonymous commentator translates a verse in Psalms, =
"Adonai
is my shadow," with a parable.  The shadow is our reflection.  If we =
walk
stooped over the shadow grows smaller - but if we walk erect, the shadow =
is
lengthened.  Kaddish is recited not when we are seated and not when we =
are
alone, but when we are on our own two feet and in the presence of =
community.
Rising in the face of adversity, we raise divinity.  In so doing, we =
raise
our own spirits.
-- Adapted from Rabbi Harold M. Schulweis

Shabbat Shalom,
Abi, et al.