[yshavurah] Fwd: MAIL-HAVURAH digest 943

  • From: Clevineys@xxxxxxx
  • To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 07:44:19 -0500

Info on Bar/Bat Mitzvahs--
Cheryl

Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:58:43 EST
Sender: owner-mail-havurah@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MAIL-HAVURAH digest 943

                MAIL-HAVURAH Digest 943

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1)  New bar/bat mitzvah resource
    by RebGoldieM@xxxxxxx
  2)  A Thank You
    by Clevineys@xxxxxxx
  3)  Last All-Stars Show of the year!-Monday, December 23 at Makor
    by Greg Wall <gjwall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  4)  Mark - post please :-)
    by "Alison Adler" <apadler@xxxxxxx>

From: RebGoldieM@xxxxxxx
Subject: [MAIL-HAVURAH:4464] New bar/bat mitzvah resource
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 01:00:26 EST

  I'm happy to announce a new section of www.reclaimingjudaism.org
dedicated to deepening the process of preparation for bar/bat mitzvah, it's
called The B-mitzvah [R]evolution.
   There are probably still some bugs in it, since it's brand new. I'd
greatly value guidance from list members on how to evolve it further.
    Also, as a companion to the site, I've been developing and testing a
series of b-mitzvah family workshops. Have just completed a series in
Philadelphia and Boston and Princeton is next. Info about this is on the
site under "program."
    If you have experiences or resources to share re bar/bat mitzvah, I'd
love to post them to the site. It's a labor of love.   Goldie Milgram, Ex
Director, Reclaiming Judaism

------------------------------
From: Clevineys@xxxxxxx
Subject: [MAIL-HAVURAH:4470] A Thank You
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:56:50 EST

--part1_1a3.da40256.2b30c903_boundary

Dear All,
        I am writing to express our sincere gratitude to Rabbi Arthur Waskow
and others for his recent "Call to a Fast for Peace."  Many of us were
inspired by his suggestions; with the help of Dr. Eric Friedland, we put
together a special liturgy for the occasion.  Members of our Havurah, as
well
as those of other faiths in our community, gathered together last Sunday for
the service.  Afterwards, we broke the fast together.  It was a very moving
and useful effort, and it helped many of us reflect and hone our individual
pursuits of shalom.  Thank you for inspiring us--it was a good day.
Sincerely,
Cheryl

Cheryl B. Levine, Psy.D., Member
Yellow Springs Havurah
  Yellow Springs, Ohio
(937) 767-9293

     And the end of all our exploring
     Will be to arrive where we started
     And know the place for the first time.
               --T.S. Eliot

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf

------------------------------
From: Greg Wall <gjwall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [MAIL-HAVURAH:4471] Last All-Stars Show of the year!-Monday, December
23 at Makor
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:58:09 EST

--Boundary_(ID_dfzbCv2wSgeK+U37qLBwwg)

LAST CHANCE THIS YEAR!
Hello Folks,

I will be appearing with the the Simcha Allstars this Monday, December
23 at 8PM at Makor, 35 W.67 St., NYC.  212-601-1000. This is last
peformance of the year, completing a monthly sequence of concerts. This
month  we explore some Sufi music for Yom Kippur, make a shidduch
between a beautiful Satmar hasidic niggun and our favorite Sly and
Robbie groove, we resurrect a nice Mickey Katz medley, Carlebach heads
to New Orleans and some classic cantorial music gets raided by the
Police(the band ,that is).  Makor has a nice beer and wine selection,
and kosher food(dairy) is served.

Please try to come and bring everyone you know!

The lineup:
Greg-saxes.flute,clar
Andy Gravish-tr
Ben Williams-tb
Mitch Schecter-piano
Brian Glassman-bass
Aaron Alexander-drums
Alty Weinreb-vocals
Tony Pompa- guitar

  "Join Greg Wall and the Simcha All-Stars in a  monthly celebration of
Jewish melodies old and new. All sources of Jewish music from the
synagogue to the street, the wedding hall to the beer hall are mined for

further exploration by Greg and his  band, plus special guests. Future
evenings will focus on special themes, such as  musical retrospective of

hasidic dynasties; songs of Geulah; jazz nusach;  zmirot; yemenite
yodeling etc."

Thanks,
Greg
greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.GregWallMusic.com

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf

------------------------------
From: "Alison Adler" <apadler@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [MAIL-HAVURAH:4472] Mark - post please :-)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:58:43 EST

------=_NextPart_001_001B_01C2A62F.1DF25650

Hello! If anyone happens to be in the Boston area, or knows someone who i=
s - I think (in my humble opinion) that this will be a pretty cool course=
.  Thanks! Alison

In Brookline, MA
Temple Beth Zion's Winter Wednesday Evening  Beit Midrash Session
introduces a new course

V'Achalta, V'Savata, U-verachta: =20
You Shall Eat, You Shall Be Satisfied, and You Shall Bless (Deuteronomy 8=
:10):
Jewish Sources on Food, the Body, and Wholeness
with Alison Adler

Dates:  January 8, 15, 22, 29, February 5, 12, 26.  =20
Time:  6:30 PM  - 7:30 PM  =20
Place: TBZ - Brookline, MA

The verse in the title is the basis for saying blessings after a meal.  W=
hat =20
do you think is the meaning of "sava" - to be satisfied, nourished?   Why=
  =20
does the Torah say =E2=80=9CYou shall eat, and you shall be satisfied, an=
d you shall =20
bless=E2=80=9D and not simply, "you shall eat, and you shall bless?=E2=80=
=9D

The verse comes towards the end of the Torah, as a reminder to the Israel=
ites =20
to remember the Source of their blessings when they enter the Promised La=
nd.  =20
We live in a land of abundance, and for many of us what we eat is our cho=
ice. =20
But with such blessings may also come some challenges =E2=80=93 about hea=
lth, =20
ethics, and just finding time in a =E2=80=9Cfast food=E2=80=9D culture.  =
How do we make =20
conscious choices in which we, our families, community and beyond can be =20
nourished fully, in body and soul? =20

In this course we will explore Jewish texts on the body, food, and blessi=
ngs =20
which promote awareness and an embodied spirituality.  Topics include eat=
ing =20
the fruit in the Garden of Eden (the first =E2=80=9Csin=E2=80=9D in the T=
orah is through =20
eating!) and that mysterious food =E2=80=93 manna - in the desert, saying=
  blessings =20
as a form of meditation, some teachings on keeping kosher (kashrut) and =20
=E2=80=9Ceco-kashrut,=E2=80=9D and relevant teachings of Hassidic masters=
  such as Rebbe =20
Nahman of Bratslav.  This will be a text-based class with an emphasis on =20
experiential learning (eating!), ritual, hevrutah (partner) study, =20
discussion, and engaging weekly assignments.

Alison Adler has led programs on body image, food, and Judaism for colleg=
e =20
students, teens, and adults, including week-long courses at the National =20
Havurah Summer Institute, of which she is a Board Member.  She was a =20
co-creator and the coordinator of Food, Body Image, and Judaism: A Confer=
ence =20
on Ethnicity and Eating; Sources for Disorder, Resources for Change that =
took =20
place in Philadelphia, PA. She is an educator at Temple Aliyah in Needham=
, =20
MA, and holds masters degrees in both Counseling Psychology  and Jewish S=
tudies.

REGISTRATION  =20
Please email both regsilver@xxxxxxx  and apadler@xxxxxxx  by December 21 =
if =20
you are interested in enrolling.  You will receive a confirmation email u=
pon =20
the receipt of yours.  For TBZ members the course is free and for non-TBZ=
  =20
members the cost is $52 for 7 sessions.  Please send a check made out to =20
Alison Adler to Beit Midrash, Temple Beth Zion, 1566 Beacon Street, =20
Brookline, MA  02446 to reserve a place for you. =20
If you have questions about the course please email Alison Adler at =20
apadler@xxxxxxx

MSN 8 limited-time offer: Join now and get 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_newmsn8ishere_3mf

End of MAIL-HAVURAH Digest 943

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

MyJewishLearning.com, The Personal Gateway to Jewish Exploration
Officially launches: http://MyJewishLearning.com/index.htm?source=shamash