[yshavurah] Children's Sabbaths

  • From: "Cheryl Levine" <clevineys@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Havurah Listserv" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:00:24 -0400

Hi All,

I thought you might be interested in this.  For those of you who don't =
know, the Children's Defense Fund is an organization that has "worked =
toward, and made great progress in, reducing the numbers of neglected, =
sick, uneducated, and poor children in the United States. CDF's =
research, public education campaigns, budget and policy advocacy, and =
coalition building have contributed to millions of children gaining =
immunizations; health care; child care; Head Start; a right to =
education; adoptions; a chance to escape poverty; and protections in our =
child welfare, mental health, and juvenile justice systems. More than =
400 CDF publications have educated millions about child conditions and =
what can be done individually and collectively to change things."  The =
following is an article off their site about the upcoming National =
Observance of Children's Sabbath...and on the heels of our collection =
for the children of Sierra Leone, it might be a very nice thing to =
participate in this Shabbat.  I would be glad to help with the =
service--there are materials we can download below to use, but I haven't =
reviewed them yet.  The article I've printed here can be found at:

http://childrensdefense.org/religiousaction/childrenssabbaths/default.asp=

Have a good week!

Cheryl

Children's Sabbaths

The 13th annual National Observance of Children's Sabbaths, coordinated =
by Children's Defense Fund, will take place October 15-17, 2004.

Endorsed by more than 200 denominations and religious organizations, the =
National Observance of Children's Sabbaths unites tens of thousands of =
religious congregations of many faiths in speaking out and acting =
faithfully for justice for children and families. This event encourages =
a long-term commitment to help children and families through prayer, =
education, service, and advocacy, with a special emphasis this year on =
the importance of justice.

During the Children's Sabbaths weekend, religious congregations hold =
special worship services, conduct religious education programs and other =
congregational activities inspiring people of faith to respond to =
children's needs and commit to making this a better and safer world for =
all children. Children's Sabbaths are held in individual congregations =
with many communities organizing interfaith services and activities.

Many communities of faith hold Children's Sabbaths celebrations =
throughout the year. Materials to help with planning your celebration =
are provided by CDF. The 2004 Children's Sabbath Resource Manual is =
scheduled for release in April. This easy-to-use resource guide comes in =
a single volume and includes suggestions and materials for planning =
Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, and multi-faith traditions. It contains =
planning tips, worship resources, lesson plans, activity ideas, =
follow-up suggestions, and more.=20

The print edition of the 2004 Children's Sabbath Resource Manual is out =
of stock, but you can download it for free:

  a.. 2004 Children's Sabbath Resource Manual
  (Adobe PDF : 182 pages : 1.89 MB) Very Large File!

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: 2004_sabbath_manual_large.jpg

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: pdf.gif