[yourwateryoursay action group] Watershed Victoria - Action Alert - The banks could stop the desal

  • From: "Andrea Bolch" <andrea.bolch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yourwateryoursay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:59:54 +1000

Note: Also check out the new page on the Watershed website relating to the
banks: http://www.watershedvictoria.org.au/content/banks/

ACTION ALERT

Watershed Victoria Still Campaigning on the Desal Disaster - The Banks could
stop the desal.

In recent weeks Watershed Victoria and supporters have raised the issue of
major financial backing of the desal plant in Wonthaggi by Westpac and the
National Australia Bank.
Both banks have signed on to the "Equator Principles",
a comprehensive set of responsibility benchmarks to invest only in projects
that have no damaging environmental and social consequences.
In the last 2
weeks we have leafletted Westpac and NAB branches in Melbourne, with good

We are asking for an explanation of the banks' financial involvement and a
comprehensive environmental impact study by the banks, BEFORE financially
backing the energy guzzling desal plant. They are relying on the State
Government's flawed and narrow environmental assessment, a mistake both in
terms of local environmental impact and climate change. The banks have also had
assurances from AquaSure, the consortium building the plant, which is hardly
impartial, that environmental impacts will be minimised.

The banks have promised to meet us to discuss our concerns, but nothing has
happened so far.

On the bright side, we have had many whale sightings on the coast this winter,
including a Southern Right mother and calf last week.

Ring NAB Corporate Responsibility Officer on 03-86342734 or Westpac 132032 and
ask for the Corporate Responsibility Officer. More details are available under
a new 'BANKS' tab on our website, and form letters are under the 'writing
letters'
section.http://www.watershedvictoria.org.au/content/category/letterwriting/

We are meeting at 11am on Thursday 1st October at Flinders St Station for more
leafleting of Westpac and NAB branches. We are confident that the banks will
agree to meet and listen to our concerns. More info Neil 0413 902571. All
welcome.