[yourwateryoursay action group] URGENT : Lobby the banks not to fund the desal plant !

  • From: "Andrea Bolch" <andrea.bolch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yourwateryoursay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:41:44 +1000

ATTENTION EVERYONE :

Major financial backers of the desalination project, Westpac and National
Australia Bank, need to get our message - the energy guzzling desal plant will
be too damaging to our planet and our coastal marine life to go ahead - a quick
inconclusive EES is not enough for the biggest infustructure project in
Victoria.

Both banks have adopted the "Equator Principles" which outline strict
guidelines regarding investment in un-sustainable projects. These principles
are directly in contradiction to the desalination plant project.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equator_Principles

We plan to hand out leaflets in central Melbourne on the week beginning Monday
7th September. We have yet to decide which day - please tell us which day you
could be involved. This is a crucial time in the campaign. The financial
arrangements for funding the desal plant are due to be finalised this month.

In the meantime, give them a ring to alert them of the problem -  NAB
1300889398 Westpac 132032
For letter writing ideas go to
http://www.watershedvictoria.org.au/content/category/letterwriting/

Please send feedback on the preferred day for city leafletting to Jessica
0407307231 wildjessica@xxxxxxxxxxx

* Social gathering on the Bass Coast - 7 pm Saturday 5th September at Cape
Paterson Hall (lower hall, near Bay Beach)
BYO food to share and musical instruments *