[yourwateryoursay action group] Fw: A Plea from the Lower Murray people.

  • From: "Andrea Bolch" <andrea.bolch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yourwateryoursay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:23:59 +1100

Please find attached a plea from the communities from the Lower Murray area
which you might be interested in.

The Water Table Collective
PO Box 307,
Strathalbyn,
South Australia 5255
T: 0427 554 194

Dear Colleagues,

We ask for your support before it is too late. The River Murray, Lower Lakes
and Coorong are in a desperate situation. These Wetlands of International
Significance recognised under the Ramsar Convention and agreements with China
and Japan can be saved but we must act soon. We are deeply concerned that
current plans to manage the crisis may do irreversible damage to Australia's
greatest river system.
  a.. We are a collective of concerned members of communities around the lower
Murray River, Lake Alexandrina, Lake Albert and the Coorong. We are
landholders, fishers, graziers, farmers, scientists, tourism operators,
irrigators, environmentalists, writers, artists and many others with a
considerable long-term collective knowledge of the area. Our position statement
is attached for your information.
  b.. In the short term we advocate purchasing water from the temporary market.
It is available and will cost considerably less than the current dredging and
pumping and proposed temporary weirs. In the mid to long term we advocate the
creation of an independent body to manage all the water sources in the
Murray-Darling Basin: rivers, tributaries, ground and surface water. This body
would establish an equitable sharing regime whereby the first allocation of
water would be to the maintenance of river system itself. Only once the health
of the river system is guaranteed would water be allocated for other purposes.
Without a healthy river, there can be no healthy communities and economies.
  c.. We ask that you consider endorsing our position statement.
  d.. We ask that you seek endorsement from the groups of which you are a
member.
  e.. We ask that you use your power as an elected representative to pursue a
fresh water solution.
  f.. We ask you to forward this letter and attached position statement to your
friends, families and colleagues.
  g.. This generation can and must act to save these precious places for future
generations.

  a.. For further information visit: www.stoptheweir.com;
  b.. email stoptheweir@xxxxxxx;
  c.. phone Diane Bell, 0427 554 194