[yoshimi] Some rather good news.

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:02:45 +0000

The experimental 'breath control' (CC2) feature is now permanent. I've had an
email from a user with an EWI Wind controller who is absolutely delighted with
it.

I've also had a very positive email from a teacher who employs Yoshimi in his
sound synthesis and DAW courses.

I've had reports from both fedora and debian users that cmake now seems to be
playing nice, so fingers crossed on that one.

I had (yet another) enquiry about getting MIDI into Yoshimi which finally
goaded me into looking into this in a bit more detail. Well, it seems Cal is
still helping us. He left 'hooks' in that I've now used in 'Settings' so that
you can change the preferred connections for both MIDI and audio. These need a
restart but will then be remembered.

I discovered this has an interesting knock-on. Provided your main instance has
jack audio, you can have a second instance configured for quite different MIDI
(and audio if you have more than one sound card). This messes with the Yoshimi
menu a bit if your second instance uses alsa audio, but it works :)

What works very nicely is that you can have two (or more) instances on jack
audio, all set for different MIDI devices and a mixture of jack and alsa MIDI.

I guess a fix that's overdue is to still be able to start Yoshimi cleanly if
there is no accessible audio.

Ubuntu's next long-term release doesn't have a code freeze till mid February,
which gives us time to put a real shine on Yoshimi beforehand :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk