[yoshimi] New here & problem with 2.0 Xenial build

  • From: "Art Horan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "art.horan" for DMARC)
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 17:23:54 -0600

Hi all!

First let me express my appreciation to Will and all the other devs who make Yoshimi possible. It's an amazing synth and I love all the refinements and enhancements you've made since forking from  ZynAddSubFx.

Also many thanks to Hermann for making his ppa available. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and his 1.7.1 build enabled me to start using Yoshimi as a plugin in Qtractor projects, pretty much replacing any use of Zyn.

One of my favorite things about Yoshimi is the use of real world values like hz and db in setting parameters. That makes it so much easier to anticipate what effects any adjustments will make.

I installed 2.0 last night as soon as it showed up in the update manager. Unfortunately, short of compiling it myself, there seems to be no way to revert to 1.7.1 as it is no longer in the ppa.

The problem for  me with 2.0 is that the filter frequency tooltips seem to have reverted back to values from 0 to 127. I don't know if this was  intended or if something wrong is with the build. I've noticed in the past that the frequency values would occasionally get kind of wonky until the next restart of Yoshimi standalone (or with the plugin, closing and reopening the UI,) so perhaps this is a bugfix, but even so I prefer real values to the byte values.

Any help is appreciated, even just a table that I could use to translate those values back to hz manually.

Thanks in advance!