[yoshimi] IMHO this is OK -- Re: Still not decided - need opinions
- From: Ichthyostega <prg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:57:42 +0200
On 21.06.2018 18:01, Will Godfrey wrote:
When re-loading, no matter what *save* format has been selected recent
versions of Yoshimi will look for .xiy first and if that fails will load
.... Currently the selected format only will be saved and the other format
will be *deleted*.
Hello Will and the others,
for me, all of this sounds pretty much logical and is the behaviour I'd expect,
based on the assumption that bank directories are kind of "owned" and managed
by yoshimi. If I change the format preference, I'd expect that to be effective
from that point on for any further actual write operation.
Moreover, I do not see it as Yoshimi's concern to care for the users's backups.
For me, this is clearly the user's responsibility to organise a backup somehow.
Personally, I have all my bank directories located within the tree of a Git
repository, and thus I see (and can possibly revert) any change made through
the UI. I have even my user preference directory symlinked into the same
Git tree, and thus even see if I've moved a window. :-D
Some developers are Git addicts.
The only thing which IMHO might be debatable is the fact that Yoshimi also
deletes a copy of the same preset saved in the different format. If we
follow the alternative route and just leave the old file back, then we'd
get into a similar loss-of-data situation once the user re-enables the
other format. In which case Yoshimi either can't save (because the
old left-over copy is still there), or has to overwrite the old
file. The only alternative I see here is to ask explicitly if
the old obsolete version can be deleted on each save.
This way, Yoshimi would "nag" the user to clean-up the obsoleted
old version manually.
Yoshimi source code is available from either:
Our list archive is at: https://www.freelists.org/archive/yoshimi
To post, email to yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Other related posts:
- » [yoshimi] IMHO this is OK -- Re: Still not decided - need opinions - Ichthyostega