[yoshimi] Re: Command line options - two plus one minus

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 20:29:26 +0100

First the backward step.

I've had to partially undo the command line changes as some 'optionals' had
become compulsory - so the need for equals is back... sometimes! At least it
won't complain if you use one when it's not needed (like it used to).

One 'plus' is a happy accident. While checking this out again, I accidentally
tried to set buffer size to 265 instead of 256 - Yoshi immediately crashed. On
examination I realised that values were being written to 'settings' without any
sanity checks at all. They are there now for the critical ones!

The other plus is that I've now worked out how to set up new bank roots from
the command line for those unable to use the GUI. Provided you know where the
banks are you simply start with something like:

yoshimi -D home/will/music/sources/yoshi/banks

If found, you will be told the new ID and any banks will be scanned.

Leading on from this, an 'ummm' is that on first time start-up we weren't
correctly populating the banks - we are now :)

A 'so-so' is that I've changed the defaults so that error reports go to
stderr, Root Path CC is 0, Bank Change CC is 32, Program Change is
enabled and so is Enable Part On Program Change. Again this is for the
benefit of command line users. GUI users can quickly and easily change these
settings if they don't like them.

Finally, I'm not totally happy with the command line parser. Using a GNU one
meant Cal reduced our own code quite a bit, but it's not as flexible as several
modern ones I've had a look at. Also it doesn't seem to integrate well with
other parts of Yoshi. I have a smattering of experience with parsers as I wrote
one many moons ago (in 6502 assembler, no less), although I don't intend to go
down that path again <- see what I did there? :)

All this is in the current 'master' of course. You know, I feel another release
may be coming on soon!

Finally, finally :p I'm off on my wanders again for a few days from tomorrow -
The New Forest Folk Festival actually - I just hope the rain stops!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Yoshimi source code is available from either:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshimi
Or: https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi