RE: OT "...greatest keyboard(s)..."

  • From: <Brian.Henderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:29:36 -0700

I'm happy it worked for you, Maben. That confirms for me that the
application is keyboard independent.

As for "#"...I don't know, offhand, why it's referred to as "pound". I
seem to hear it most when automated phone systems tell me I need to hit
that button. Maybe they're anticipating the amount animosity that is
likely to be focused on that key.

-BH

-----Original Message----- From: M.W. Poirier

   Brian:

   No, you are right about Rcontrol::LWin.  It works as you stated in
   your previous message.  I am, at the moment, using my old keyboard
   (IBM, Model) and I now have access to a Windows key on a keyboard
that
   clearly does not have a Windows key.  I also modified my laptop,
   which does not have a Windows key, and it too works as expected.
   Great.

   I also am a bit confused about the number symbol. i.e., the "#".  (I
   see that you do not refer to it the same way in the U.S.  You call
   it the pound symbol.  We here view it as a number symbol.  It likely
   has something to do with our Fremch heritage.)  I know that while
using
   my newer keyboard, which has a Windows key, I was able to obtain the
   same effect with #h as I now get with your command Lwin, but #h did
   not work at all with IBM Model M.  So you are likely right when you
   say "..."#" symbol is for putting the result of Win key combinations
   under a 3rd key...".  Where did you come across the "LWin."  What
does
   "L" refer to?  "Left"?

   Thanks for your help, as well as to Harry.

   MWP