Re: OED redux

  • From: Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 10:34:45 +0300

Being a lexicographer myself, I am somewhat puzzled by the unmitigated esteem that the OED enjoys particularly amongst my American friends. The OED is undoubtedly one of the monuments of historical linguistics, a branch of linguistics that I have studied quite a lot and that I find very pertinent in its own right, but there are many other resources that are equally helpful these days.

Here is a list of some of my favorites:

a) by issuing a "word definition" command at the google search prompt, you will get basic defintions at once and links to major online resources; for etymologies, use e.g. "car word origin"

b) https://www.merriam-webster.com/ - a premier American dictionary with a tradition of going a bit further in lexicographical depth than many others, which aroused some controversy in the past of the type "this does not belong into a dictionary"

c) www.dictionary.com and www.thesaurus.com which work very well as a functional pair

d) www.macmillandictionary.com with distinctive British and American variant editions side-by-side for easy reference

e) http://dictionary.cambridge.org/ - an English dictionary and quite a few of bilingual resources, etc.

f) https://www.powerthesaurus.org/ - an interesting thesaurus project for power users