Re: Installation steps for VirtualBox W2K

  • From: J R FOX <jr_fox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:30:04 -0700

Hi Kari,

If I go with the ready-made W2K ISO from Bill, that just replaces the first two
items under Step 4, below ?  Otherwise, much the same ?

   Jordan

>________________________________

    folders. I did a W2K installation today, and here is how I did it.

>Best regards,
>
>Kari Eveli
>LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
>lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx
>
>*** Lexitec Online ***
>Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
>Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/
>

>Installation steps for VirtualBox W2K
>
>1) Click on the New, choose defaults all the way (change the
    location of the hard disk to be installed from the 'Browse' button
    to your liking if you want)

>2) Once installed and running, Go to 'Devices, Insert Guest
    Additions' and run Guest Additions Setup Wizard, Answer Yes to the
    questions about MS non certified components, Finish and restart

>With Guest additions you better video support, shared clipboard and
    shared folders, etc.
>Check your display settings, it should say 'VirtualBox Graphics
    Adapter'

>3) Run the Internet connection wizard on the Desktop
>
>4) Download:
>
>- Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network Install for IT Professionals
    (contains all 4 SPs):
>http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4127
>
>- Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (needed for using VMware
    tools):
>http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18997
>This is needed for installing VMware tools (guest-host integration).
    I recommend not installing it on VBox. It is not necessary, and may
    introduce conflicts.

>- Latest MS browser for W2K is a must, IE 6, only full installer
    works!:
>http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?old_internet_explorer=11?download
>
>- Optionally, install Opera browser for W2K
>
>Uncheck 'Automatic updates' from W2K control panel (they do not work
    any more!)

>5) Install Shared folders: Devices, Shared folders settings, click
    on Add (+ button)

>Folder path: other, browse host machine, pick a host folder
>Folder name: give descriptive name (e.g. Desktop)
>Check 'Make permanent'
>OK
>
>Now if you click on My computer, the share does not show.
>Open a command line, and run: 'net use X: \\vboxsvr\Desktop'
>This is run only once, the make permanent feature keeps it up and
    running in future sessions.

>Now if you click on My computer, the share does show, and you can
    make a shortcut to this on your W2K Desktop, e.g. 'Host Desktop',
    now you have windowed access to the host