Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

  • From: Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 19:57:03 +0300

Phil,

Thank you for this precision. I started my career as a lexicographer on an IBM mainframe at a big publishing house. And EBCDIC was alive and well in the early 1980's there. Do you happen to know how the Atex system was later developed? I gather Atex has been run on mainframes up till this day. (E.g. http://www.gxpress.net/atex-upgrade-allows-news-to-decommission-mainframes-build-on-integration-cms-1692)

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/

To answer your original question, the Atex editor was actually a stand-alone operating system. It was written on and for the DEC PDP-11 family which (thankfully) used the ASCII character set.

The PDP-11 was a very advanced computer for its day. It had a very logical and versatile instruction set and a great CPU. I loved writing code for it.