[xmlspif] Re: A XML Based Access Control Concept

  • From: "Piers Chivers" <Piers.Chivers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <xmlspif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:43:27 +0100

Hi Alan,

{Please note: all following comments are my personal view]

This email has a number of interesting suggestions.  I will cut to the
chase though.

As a minimum we must have an open XML definition of a security label.
As you state below, a number of initiatives have started this.  However,
organisations like NATO, quite rightly, must follow correct processes to
publish proposals and standards.  I therefore think that this community
could speed things along by publishing an initial draft. If that draft
could be "somehow" like NATO's then all the better J.

So, I propose that the next major output from this forum should be a XML
security label definition that references the XML Spif of course.

Your other ideas below will follow from this (and should be considered
for the label definition) but we should walk before we run.

Thoughts?

Piers

PS As a start for the above:

1.      We should consider what is the point of a label?

2.      We should realise that more than just Defence orgs use labels

3.      We must not just "XMLify" the ASN.1 label definition.

4.      Textual labels are a bit of a pain.  A decent transformation
mechanism to/from text and XML versions of a label are essential.