[x500standard] SV: [pkix] Unclear public-key certificate definition in X.509

  • From: "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Stefan Santesson'" <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tom Gindin'" <tgindin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:30:26 +0100

Hi Stefan,

As a Swede, you should know how to spell my name. Just think of Eriks Plan
in Stockholm (people may not know, I have a plan) and your ancient kings
named Erik.

Personally, I have a problem with the notation technique in general. It is
used in 7.2 you are referring to and in 18.2, which is a somewhat misplaced
and confusing subclause.

In 7.2 it says the same as the ASN.1 to follow, so there is an unnecessary
duplication, where a reader needs to grasp two different notation techniques
to get the same thing twice.

My preference would be to delete table one, delete the first part of 7.2 and
to rewrite some of the stuff in clause 18 and more it to a more logical
place.

Erik Andersen
Andersen's L-Service
Mobile: +45 2097 1490