[x500standard] SV: [pkix] Trust anchors

  • From: "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <denis.pinkas@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:22:05 +0200

Hi Denis,

Thanks for your comments. I understand that you believe that trust anchor
storage shall not be mentioned in X.509 at all.

X.509 is not that well structured, as it has been written by different
people at different times during a period where concepts and terms were
being developed.

As an example, the term trust anchor is used with any previous introduction.
An innocent reader does not necessarily know what a trust anchor is.
Following your proposal, the term trust anchor would still be used without
any introduction.

The proposed subclause is intended to be just before a subclause introducing
the concept of certification path. Some of your proposed text fits nicely in
here.

It was important to me to emphasise that a trust anchor is some trusted
entity by a relying party and not necessarily trusted by the end-entity.

New player from new countries are coming into the PKI area. X.509 should be
written in such a way that it is understandable for newcomers. Many PKI
specifications can only be understood by those that are already (so-called)
expert.

Erik Andersen

Andersen's L-Service

Elsevej 48,

DK-3500 Vaerloese

Denmark

Mobile: +45 2097 1490

e-amail: era@xxxxxxx

Skype: andersen-erik

 <http://www.x500.eu/> http://www.x500.eu/

 <http://www.x500standard.com/> http://www.x500standard.com/

 <http://dk.linkedin.com/in/andersenerik>
http://dk.linkedin.com/in/andersenerik

De :        "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx>
A :        "PKIX" <pkix@xxxxxxxx>
Date :        14/07/2011 18:46
Objet :        [pkix] Trust anchors
Envoyé par :        pkix-bounces@xxxxxxxx

  _____

To prove I am an optimist, I have produced a first draft for a subclause on
trust anchors to be included in X.509.

I will appreciate any constructive comment.

Erik Andersen
Andersen's L-Service
Elsevej 48,
DK-3500 Vaerloese
Denmark
Mobile: +45 2097 1490
e-amail: era@xxxxxxx
Skype: andersen-erik
 <http://www.x500.eu/> http://www.x500.eu/
 <http://www.x500standard.com/> http://www.x500standard.com/
 <http://dk.linkedin.com/in/andersenerik>
http://dk.linkedin.com/in/andersenerik
 [pièce jointe "trust-anchor.pdf" supprimée par Denis PINKAS/FR/BULL]