[x500standard] Re: DER encoding of certificates

  • From: "Ramsay, Ron" <Ron.Ramsay@xxxxxx>
  • To: <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 16:48:12 +1000

Hi Erik,

Maybe I'm trying to turn back time, but common sense would dictate that
the signature should apply to the blob it is attached to, even if that
blob doesn't follow the DER rules. The notion that you have a signature
to a blob which you don't have, and can't obtain, but for which you have
a hint that should enable you to construct that blob, is a bit weird.

Also, isn't DER itself underspecified. That is, aren't there situations
that are still ambiguous, even in the face of DER. I remember hearing
something about it about 10 years ago, but I may be wrong.

Ron