[x500standard] Country codes in X.520

  • From: "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Directory list" <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:16:08 +0100

I noticed that we in Reference clause of X.520 specifies "ISO 3166 (all
parts), Codes for the representation of names of countries and their
subdivisions."

Only part 1 is relevant.

Part 2 is "Codes for the representation of names of countries and their
subdivisions -- Part 2: Country subdivision code"

Part 3 is "Codes for the representation of names of countries and their
subdivisions -- Part 3: Code for formerly used names of countries"

We should therefore specify in the reference clause: "ISO 3166-1:2006, Codes
for the representation of names of countries and their subdivisions -- Part
1: Country codes"

The countryName attribute specifies: An attribute value for country name is
a string chosen from ISO 3166.

This is not clear: It should state: An attribute value for country name
shall be a string chosen from ISO 3166-1 Alpha 2

 ISO 3166-1 defines two character code, three character codes, and tree
numeric codes. It appears that we are only using the two character codes.

Any comments before I generate a Defect Report?

Erik Andersen

Andersen's L-Service

Elsevej 48, DK-3500 Vaerloese

Denmark