[x500standard] Re: Certificate definitions

  • From: "Santosh Chokhani" <SChokhani@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ietf-pkix" <ietf-pkix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:35:52 -0400

Erik,

See responses inline.

________________________________

        From: x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Erik Andersen
        Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:26 AM
        To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'ietf-pkix'
        Subject: [x500standard] Re: Certificate definitions

        Hi Denis,

        It is a little dangerous not to respond to my comments. Due to the
apparent inactivity of people, I have the power to produce Defect Reports,
produce Draft Technical Corrigenda, run them through both the ISO and ITU-T
approval process and finally integrate them into the next edition of X.500
(incl. X.509) without being stopped by anyone (except for Jean-Paul Lemaire).

        I believe you misunderstood my diagram. It may be a little confusing.
Let me express myself without the diagram.

        The set of certificates is the union of the set of public-key
certificates and the set of attribute certificates.

        The set of end-entity certificates is the union of public-key
certificates issued to end-entities and the set of attribute certificates
issued to end-entities. However, X.509 is a little confusing here as the term
end-entity certificate is sometimes meant to be just public-key certificates
issued to end-entities, so the term end-entity certificate has two meanings.

        The set of public-key certificates is the union of the set of
end-entity (public-key) certificates and the set of CA certificates.

        The set of attribute certificates is the union of the set of end-entity
(attribute) certificates and the set of AA certificates.

        The set of authority certificates is the union of the set CA
certificates and the set of AA certificates.

        The set of CA certificates is the union of the set of self-issued
(public-key) certificates and the set cross certificates. The latter is a
little confusing, as a cross certificate can also be an attribute certificate.

        [Santosh]: The above paragraph has two inaccuracies.  Since not all CA
certificates are called cross certificates, set of CA certificates are
self-issued, cross certificate, and subordinate CA certificates.  (I wish we
had not distinguished between cross certificates and subordinate CA
certificates in the first place).  Also note that a cross certificate can not
be attribute certificate.  I don't see an AA cross certificate in RFC 3281 or
in X.509

        I am avoiding here to use the term "user attribute", but believe it is
supposed to mean a public-key certificate issued to an end-entity.

        Whenever an innocent reader sees the term "certificate", he/she is
entitled to believe it can either be a public-key certificate. It may not
always be clear from the context what is meant.

        Whenever an innocent us  reader see the term "end-entity certificate",
he/she is entitled to believe it is either a public key certificate or an
attribute certificate issued to an end-entity.

        Whenever an innocent us  reader see the term "cross-certificate",
he/she is entitled to believe it is either a public key certificate or an
attribute certificate.

        [Santosh]: See prior comment.

        My proposal was only to clear-up the terminology and to use the
terminology consistent in the text of X.509. Trying to do the latter may raise
a number of detailed questions when the meaning is not absolutely clear from
the context.

        Erik Andersen

        Andersen's L-Service

        Elsevej 48, DK-3500 Vaerloese