[womeninscience] Anyone want to be a Science Fair Judge?

  • From: Clairissa Dewstow <clairissad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <womeninscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:52:02 -0600

Hey Girls!

The North Austin Harmony Science Academy has asked our organization for
volunteers to help with judging. Judges would needed December 6th from 8:30am
to 12:00pm. The ceremony is at 2:30pm but you wouldn't need to stay for it
unless you wanted to. This is a great way to give back to the science community
in Austin. We will arrange carpools. :)

**If you want to volunteer, please email me back by Thursday night or come to
this week's meeting and sign up then**

Thanks,
Clairissa
More information on AHSA from Debby McClure:

Let me introduce you to a brand new science academy in
Austin, Harmony Science Academy North Austin. Harmony Science Academy North
Austin is a T-Stem Academy. If you are not familiar with this program, it is a
state program set forth by Rick Perry. It is funded in part by the Michael Dell
and Bill Gates families. It has set out to target Texas Science, Technology,
Engineering and Math Academies.  The potential is endless as a T-Stem
academy as you can see by reading the excerpt below.

ensure that all Texas students thrive in the 21st Century economy, that Texas
will continue to grow its economy, land more economic development
opportunities, and remain at the forefront in the battle for 21st Century jobs,
the Texas High School Project is carrying out a bold and forward-thinking
education program – the Texas Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
Initiative – T-STEM.

What
is T-STEM?

T-STEM
stands for Texas Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

T-STEM
is part of a State of Texas initiative designed to motivate and prepare more
students for careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

http://thsp.org/initiatives/t_stem