[wkars-members] Re: Report on x-band working trial for Club Net tomorrow [ Re: Monday evening net - cross-band working - FT897 ]

  • From: Chris Pegrum <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 07:43:46 +0100

Dear Mark,
I did hear both ends quite clearly on a handheld whilst driving back home
from Sevenoaks to TW and the last few minutes as I parked up.

Oddly other than a rather tinny audio from the 70cm it came through nicely at
TW.

Not that I know much about the Wouxon radios, but I read that the time out 1-7
minutes can be turned off.

Maybe next time I'll get back to take part in the net.

Regards

Chris Pegrum
chris@xxxxxxxxxx

73 de M0NAY

The views expressed in this email are personal and may not necessarily reflect
those of Chris Pegrum unless explicitly stated otherwise.
you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you should not copy it for
any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Senders and
recipients of email should be aware that, under the Data Protection Act 1998
the contents may have to be disclosed.
This email has been scanned by the AVG Email Security System. For more
information please visit < http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepagel>
However Chris Pegrum cannot accept liability for viruses that may be in this
email and we recommend that you check all emails with an appropriate virus
scanner.

On 28 Jul 2015, at 07:17, Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave, that seemed to go very well yesterday, good show!

A few more thoughts:

For listening to Joe, I monitored the 70cms trunk, as I couldn’t hear him on
2m.

I’m pretty sure I can set up the Baofengs to dual-monitor, so that could be
an easier approach, and would avoid switching.

The time-outs were interesting, but so long as overs are not too long,
they’re mostly not a problem.

The Wouxon was pretty hot at the end of the evening, so I’m not sure whether
they’re really designed for a 100% transmit cycle; I certainly wouldn’t want
to do this on high power, but I don’t think we need to.

Steve 2E0VKH could clearly hear the Bidborough 70cms trunk, but not the
Otford one.

73 Mark G8PHM

On 27 Jul 2015, at 19:56, Dave <d.j.g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark the link is up at Hildenborough.

Both you and I will not be able to operate the net as we will be using low
power hand held radios and I doubt any non loca stations will hear us.

Dave

From: "Mark Kent" <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wkars-members] Re: Monday evening net - cross-band working -
FT897
Date: Sun, Jul 26, 2015 13:37

Gordon, funny you mention that! Jeremy 2E0KJJ’s Wouxon is basically a
budget 8900.

On 26 Jul 2015, at 13:36, Gordon Bubb <gordonbubb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark,

You need an 8900!

Gordon
G7KNS

On 26 July 2015 at 13:34, Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave, a 6m repeater could certainly be of interest, but the particular
interest here is a temporary cross-band managed talk-through for the
WKARS net.

A 6m repeater could be of interest in any case, but the only place I can
put one would be in my garden. It’s not an ideal location, but is at
least available!

73 Mark G8PHM.

On 26 Jul 2015, at 13:26, d.j.g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have several radios that can cross and repeat and a commercial inband
repeater that works on 2m.
What are you trying to achieve? Are you looking at a potential repeater
site?
You need to be mindful of licence conditions when using talk through.
If you are looking at a potential repeater site we need a 6m repeater in
the area.

Sent from my HTC

From: "Mark Kent" <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wkars-members] Monday evening net - cross-band working - FT897
Date: Sun, Jul 26, 2015 12:02

The FT897 is not capable of cross-band repeating.

To make this work, I think I’ll need two rigs with VOX, one for each
band, and a multiplexer or separate antennae for said bands.

The venerable FT-480r doesn’t have VOX, so it would need additional
electronics.

The FT-897 does have VOX, and I have a VX7R, and a couple of Baofeng
handies which also have VOX and multi-band coverage.

So one possibility looks like this:

1. FT-897 set to RX-TX on 433.375, with Vox engaged, and connected to
70cms antenna; set to 10 Watts so okay for all licence classes.

2. Handy set to RX-TX on 145.375, with Vox engaged, and connected to
2m antenna.

The audio-out of handy goes to audio-in on FT-897.
The audio-out of FT-897 goes to audio-in on Handy.

Both rigs are set with CTCSS for both RX and TX to something other than
103.5Hz, but very close in frequency to avoid any audible products from
accidental mixing.

The FT-897 forms the link to Bidborough from Otford at 70 cms.

The handy provides a local RX/TX for the Darenth Valley area.

=====

This is a complex setup, and would be much simplified by using a rig
which can cross-band repeat out of the box.

=====
In any case:

At Bidborough, the equivalent is set up. Note that the 70 cms path
would need the same CTCSS setup, but the 2m access would need a
different CTCSS from the Darenth Valley end to avoid opening up both
ends simultaneously.

Clearly this would only be up with the operators present, so we’d use
it for Nets, and then take it down.

For this approach to work, all stations would need to be able to reach
one or other end of the 2m access points for both TX and RX with
adequate S/N, or access the 70cms directly, but that would require
being able to access both the Sevenoaks and the Bidborough stations
simultaneously.

The approach does seem to be fascinating, involving using radio to do
the same kind of thing which echolink is doing using the internet.

thoughts?

Ta, Mark G8PHM.