[wkars-members] Re: Monday evening net - cross-band working - FT897

  • From: Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 13:34:17 +0100

Dave, a 6m repeater could certainly be of interest, but the particular interest
here is a temporary cross-band managed talk-through for the WKARS net.

A 6m repeater could be of interest in any case, but the only place I can put
one would be in my garden. It’s not an ideal location, but is at least
available!

73 Mark G8PHM.

On 26 Jul 2015, at 13:26, d.j.g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have several radios that can cross and repeat and a commercial inband
repeater that works on 2m.
What are you trying to achieve? Are you looking at a potential repeater site?
You need to be mindful of licence conditions when using talk through.
If you are looking at a potential repeater site we need a 6m repeater in the
area.

Sent from my HTC

From: "Mark Kent" <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>>
To: <wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [wkars-members] Monday evening net - cross-band working - FT897
Date: Sun, Jul 26, 2015 12:02

The FT897 is not capable of cross-band repeating.

To make this work, I think I’ll need two rigs with VOX, one for each band,
and a multiplexer or separate antennae for said bands.

The venerable FT-480r doesn’t have VOX, so it would need additional
electronics.

The FT-897 does have VOX, and I have a VX7R, and a couple of Baofeng handies
which also have VOX and multi-band coverage.

So one possibility looks like this:

1. FT-897 set to RX-TX on 433.375, with Vox engaged, and connected to 70cms
antenna; set to 10 Watts so okay for all licence classes.

2. Handy set to RX-TX on 145.375, with Vox engaged, and connected to 2m
antenna.

The audio-out of handy goes to audio-in on FT-897.
The audio-out of FT-897 goes to audio-in on Handy.

Both rigs are set with CTCSS for both RX and TX to something other than
103.5Hz, but very close in frequency to avoid any audible products from
accidental mixing.

The FT-897 forms the link to Bidborough from Otford at 70 cms.

The handy provides a local RX/TX for the Darenth Valley area.

=====

This is a complex setup, and would be much simplified by using a rig which
can cross-band repeat out of the box.

=====
In any case:

At Bidborough, the equivalent is set up. Note that the 70 cms path would
need the same CTCSS setup, but the 2m access would need a different CTCSS
from the Darenth Valley end to avoid opening up both ends simultaneously.

Clearly this would only be up with the operators present, so we’d use it for
Nets, and then take it down.

For this approach to work, all stations would need to be able to reach one
or other end of the 2m access points for both TX and RX with adequate S/N,
or access the 70cms directly, but that would require being able to access
both the Sevenoaks and the Bidborough stations simultaneously.

The approach does seem to be fascinating, involving using radio to do the
same kind of thing which echolink is doing using the internet.

thoughts?

Ta, Mark G8PHM.