[wkars-members] Re: Monday Net - Use of talk-through stations without NoV, Ofcom permission confirmed.

  • From: Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:06:11 +0100

Najeeb, it looks like there’s probably too much in the way of Downs in between
you and me. You’re welcome to try of course, but I think you’d need a good
antenna, high-up, and a fair amount of power, to have any realistic chance of
getting to my Otford side of things.

Dave MOU did set up a B-end nearer to Bidborough, which you might have better
luck with as that’s much more like ‘line of sight’, so if Dave, ( or Keith ),
were to set up, it could work.

You might be best to get in your car and get up to somewhere like Bluebell
Hill, then you’d probably get Dave’s talk-through without a problem, if you’ve
got the time to do so. A mag-mount for the car is about all you’d need.

That would then trunk onto my side as well, so you’d be able to get to
Sevenoaks side, assuming Dave (or Keith) were to set up as required.

So, it’s possible, depending!

73 Mark

On 16 Aug 2015, at 10:54, Najeeb Mirza <naj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I know it's unlikely but I am wondering if talk-through would reach my QTH
near Cuxton.

I'd be on a VX8 DE, thoughts?

Najeeb

On Sunday, 16 August 2015, Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
We used a talk-through arrangement a couple of weeks back for the club 2m
Monday net. There was some discussion about it’s position with respect to
the licence.

http://rsgb.org/main/operating/emergency-communications/talk-through-units-guidelines-for-use/

<http://rsgb.org/main/operating/emergency-communications/talk-through-units-guidelines-for-use/>

"Ofcom have declared that Talk-Through is now permitted without the need for
a permit to be issued and without the need for the unit to be staffed.” [1]

There is more information at the URL, but the station must be ‘supervised’ by
the licensee, but not necessary ‘staffed’

Cross-band operation is explicitly permitted.

The RSGB have requested usage reports and clearly expect this to be used by
Raynet, but this doesn’t seem to be an Ofcom requirement.

The band plan recommendation is to use the emergency comms channels, but
again, this is not a licence requirement.

I’m happy to move the talk-through to 430.800 with a suitable CTCSS if there
is interest in setting up the trunk again.

I did use the talk-through this morning for the Darenth Valley net and
someone was clearly trying to deliberately interfere on 70 cms, so I’ll go
with CTCSS in the future. Aren’t people lovely?

Note 1: I’m not aware that it was ever not permitted, but the position is
now explicit rather than implicit.

73 Mark G8PHM

--
Najeeb Mirza