[wkars-members] Re: Fwd: Help required - Bench PSU Help (TTi 1810R)

  • From: Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Neil Bernard M6DWU <themoog@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:16:52 +0100

Neil, you, perhaps you should subscribe the email address to the mailing list.

Main point for consideration:

The operation of the internal protection circuit is described in the section
‘main output’. Here, the voltage across c33/c37 triggers a zener, which drives
an opto-isolator, which drives Q22/23 as a bistable latch, causing tripping,
which is what you’re describing.

Can you get a scope onto the capacitors and validate the voltage?

Similarly, this latch is also driven from excessive Mosfet output current,
sensed by the 0.33Ohm R16. Nasty causes are the mosfets, any of the diodes
going short or ‘zener’, perhaps a shorted turn on the output transformer.

The fact the the PSU is being driven into self-protection is quite a good sign,
as it indicates that most of it is working, including the oscillator/PWM parts
and out to the driver stage.

Quick observations:

0. Do you know what caused the failure? This is often a useful guide to where
to look and consider.

1. things which go wrong are usually those which get hot. Power devices in the
SMPSU are a good place to look, so the power mosfets must be considered suspect.

2. the auxiliary power supplies are critical to operation, so check the volts
are present and correct.

3. close visual inspection - do any parts of the board look heat damaged?
Resistors can go well off value when over heated.

4. An electrolytics which are bulging must also be considered suspect.

5. The control electronics are very well described in the text; if you can
isolate them from the rest of the circuit in blocks, you can run them up on
independent supplies and validate that they’re working as expected.

I’d start with the power devices, though...

On 28 Aug 2015, at 20:28, keithlbird@xxxxxxx (Redacted sender
"keithlbird@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear club colleagues, I'm forwarding the attached on behalf of Neil, if you
have feedback or can help Neil please contact him directly at
neil@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>

73 Keith