Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts I: The set-up

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Neil:
Thanks for the confirmation & reference, Neil. I'll try to land a copy of "The
Language of Thought" and read it in parallel with Locke, whom I've been mulling
over lately. Locke seems to be right for the wrong reasons, and now I am
finding Fodor to be wrong for the right reasons. If that makes any sense....
But the Cartesians and continental rationalism did not hold, as far as I know,
concepts such as DOG, TREE, ROCK, HYDROGEN ATOM, and CELL PHONE to be innate.
Rather, it was traditional Platonic concepts which we might identify as
abstractions nowadays, such as elements of social being (JUSTICE, GOODNESS,
EQUALITY) or religious notions (GOD, REDEMPTION, PUNISHMENT). So, it seems to
be a problem for Fodor, given the science of his silly century, to come up with
a way in which we might have concepts of things that are the ordinary furniture
of the world--dogs, and rocks, and tulips, and corkscrews.
Thanks again!--Ron