[L] [blog] Hermine on Her Brother Becoming Wittgenstein

  • From: Squarespace Services <services@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 04:00:39 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx> updated Hermine on Her Brother Becoming
Wittgenstein:

 Hermine observes the following changes in her brother ...

 "Already at that time, a profound transformation was taking place in Ludwig,
the results of which were not to be apparent until after the war, and which
finally culminated in his decision not to possess any more wealth. ...

 His second decision, to choose a completely unpretentious vocation and perhaps
to become a country schoolteacher, was at first incomprehensible even to me.
Since we, his brothers and sisters, very often communicated with each other in
comparisons, I told him … that imagining him with his philosophically-trained
mind as an elementary school teacher it was to me as if someone were to use a
precision instrument to open crates. Thereupon Ludwig answered with a
comparison which silenced me[,] for he said, "You remind me of someone who is
looking through a closed window and cannot explain to himself the strange
movements of a passer-by. He doesn’t know what kind of a storm is raging
outside and that this person is perhaps only with great effort keeping himself
on his feet." It was then that I understood his state of mind."

 ----- Hermine Wittgenstein

  Sources: Rush Rhees, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Personal Recollections, Blackwell
1981 p. 4-5; Michael Nedo, Guy Moreton and Alec Finlay, “Ludwig Wittgenstein,
There Where You are Not,” 2005, at p. 39.

 Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.

<http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrs-blog/2009/11/22/hermine-on-her-brother-becoming-wittgenstein.html>