[Wittrs] Re: Yes: Meanings and Properties [Was: The CRA: Is the Third Premise True?]

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:51:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Budd,

I still have reservations about the man in the room understanding and following
rules in English. In that respect the CRT fails as a proper model of a UTM.

I still like my Language Room Argument, in which the man starts with a complete
semantic deficit, follows the rules via a non-linguistic method, and fails to
obtain understanding of anything whatsoever. My argument seems much cleaner,
but in the final analysis I have to agree with you that Searle had no other way
to make his point. My LRA would make sense mainly to those who already grok the
contentious 3rd axiom.

-gts