[Wittrs] Wittgenstein's Aesthetics Has Broad Application

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:12:19 -0700 (PDT)

... It just occurred to me that Wittgenstein on Aesthetics is not really about
"aesthetics" per se. It's actually Wittgenstein on "judgment." And it seems to
me that it is closely related to Wittgenstein's "seeing as" and "imponderable
evidence" (e.g., knowing the intuitions and feelings of others). In other
words, what I am trying to say is that anyone who reads his lectures on
Aesthetics as being about art is misunderstanding them. The lectures are more
broadly about a kind of COGNITION that routinely goes on in our lives for
certain subjects and context. We might call it the learning of a "refined
judgment," or the development of "exquisite taste" -- but it is related to all
sorts of judgments we make in life, such as understanding our children
(imponderable evidence).

One wants to say, Aesthetics is about a particular kind of brain task present
in the appreciation of art, but not at all limited to that domain.

In fact, those who see the remarks on aesthetics as being on a desert island of
some sort are really missing the boat.

Yours inspired today,

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor