[Wittrs] Molecular Motion Constitutes the Liquidity of Water

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 06:29:29 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>you say that Searle makes a claim of non-causation in the third axiom;
>>and, I agree that he does; but, I take that to mean causation in the
>>true sense (pertaining to the notion of cause and effect that
>>scientists use and that descends from Aristotle's category of
>>efficient causation).

>>my question is: when you say that Searle makes a claim of
>>non-causation do you have a different notion of causation in mind?

>I have offered an explanation many times here about how Searle uses
>"cause" with regard to water and wetness.

in such a case, the relation of constitution is dressed up in the
language of ersatz causation to solicit an ersatz identity.

>But I think Searle doesn't think in these terms when we get to the
>idea that brains do cause minds while computers don't! However, because
>he is vague on what brains actually do that is causal ...

no one knows how it happens that there is subjectivity and experience in
an otherwise insensate universe; so, of course, Searle is a little vague
on that point.

>After all, if he once recognized that his claim of causality for
>water's wetness might apply, he would not find it so easy to blithely
>blow off the possibility that the CR is underspecked and that that's
>the real problem with his argument.

how do you distinguish true ('cause and effect') causation from the
ersatz causation (aka 'constitution') --- or, can you?

Joe