[Wittrs] Focusing on the Refusal to Focus

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 04:19:34 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>yes, I have validated the CRA.

>>let's move on to the question of whether the third premise is true.

>>we disagree as to whether the truth of the third premise is, has been
>>or can be established. that's why the issue is *whether* the third
>>premise is true.

>Apparently where we disagree is over whether Searle's CR provides a
>basis for assuming the third premise of the CRA is true.

yes. the issue is whether the third axiom is true.

>>>I presume you mean the "CRA" rather than the "CRT", since this is
>>>about an argument, not the "thought experiment"?

>>no, I meant the CRT since the third axiom is constructed from simpler
>>claims that the CRT shows to be true.

>The "CRT" is what I call the "CR" which is the scenario presented by
>Searle from which he elaborates his argument, the "CRA". Are you saying
>you have altered Searle's CR?

not the CRT. that's still as good as gold; but, it culminates in the
insight 'I do not understand chinese'. getting from that insight to the
third axiom is the part that I've cleaned up --- by reducing the
potential for conflation and equivocation (or, if you prefer ordinary
english, the potential for three card monte scams).

>>when I use 'specking', I'm using it to deal with issues concerning
>>what Searle incorporates into the CR. you seem to think that the CR is
>>'underspecked' because 'more of the same' hasn't yet been incorporated
>>into the CR.

>By "more of the same" let's be clear. What I have in mind is ... a
>CR that is more like a brain, i.e., capable of running processes that
>do the kinds of things brains do.

what you can add to the CR as described in the CRT is more/faster
syntactic operations; otherwise, you are adding something that is more
than just syntax. that would be cheating.

Joe