[Wittrs] Concept

  • From: sekhar <sekhar.goteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 05:26:37 -0700 (PDT)

The logical acts of the understanding by which concepts are generated
as to their form are: (1.) comparison, i.e., the likening of mental
images to one another in relation to the unity of consciousness; (2.)
reflection, i.e., the going back over different mental images, how
they can be comprehended in one consciousness; and finally (3.)
abstraction or the segregation of everything else by which the mental
images differ. … In order to make our mental images into concepts, one
must thus be able to compare, reflect, and abstract, for these three
logical operations of the understanding are essential and general
conditions of generating any concept whatever. For example, I see a
fir, a willow, and a linden. In firstly comparing these objects, I
notice that they are different from one another in respect of trunk,
branches, leaves, and the like; further, however, I reflect only on
what they have in common, the trunk, the branches, the leaves
themselves, and abstract from their size, shape, and so forth; thus I
gain a concept of a tree.

wikipedia