[wisb] Re: [wisb](Horicon part of) Shorebird conditions for Dane/Columbia ponds

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:56:44 -0500

In his post Peter Fissel said:
" I neglected to mention in my post last night that the water is nearly gone
in the Hwy 49 impoundment south of the historical marker at Horicon, at
least in the part near the road.  There was still some water way to the
south, which may be visible from the Old Marsh Rd."

Yesterday I walked to the sharp bend on Old Marsh Rd. where the road runs
north/south. The only water past the wooden bridge that is
within scoping range is on the south side of the road. The north side of the
road from the wooden bridge to the bend is low, damp grass- perfect for
Buff-breasted Sandpipers. I have checked several times but had no luck yet.
I know of no way to get close to the water that is in the back pond across
from the historical marker because all the dikes in that area are off
limits.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County