[wisb] tanager question

  • From: knothole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "wisbird network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 02:13:19 -0500

Yesterday scanning the branches of a dead elm tree I happened upon a bird in
perfect light. The bird had a beautiful flaming red face . This stood out from
the rest of the body which was a summer goldfinch yellow . The bird flew up and
resettled showing off black wings. I have two thoughts. In my experience a
molting scarlet tanager replaces itâ??s red feathers rather haphazardly and not
in such precise perfect color blocks . The yellow coloring was  the brightest
purest yellow. Would not a molting scarlet tanager show a more greenish yellow?
I do not know if I should be awed in just seeing a scarlet tanager or in awe
and thrilled to see a western tanager.This was almost the same spot that I had
seen a townsend solitaire  a number of years ago.

                          Judy Allen

                          SW rural Jackson county