[wisb] surprise raptor while counting swifts, Osh.

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:35:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hurray, it's Tuesday my night off, I went out for a spell to look for
nighthawks,
primarily, but got none, so I figured a swift census was a good idea. I got
around
60 birds in about 5 flocks, one of the flocks of 12 was chasing a MERLIN, of
all
things, in a northeasterly direction.  A bit early with that merlin I figured.
Some gulls
were cruising around too, one of them had a strange wingtip pattern, resembling
that
of a much darker-wing-tipped Kumliens Iceland, though I could still tell is was
Ring-bill.  (or was it?)  One lone warbler flitted on by, hard to tell species
against
a sunsetting sky. The shadow from 4 high-flying pelicans caught my attn.
earlier today.
 Keep the awesome sightings rolling in, I'll try to get out to some fields or
puddles
sometime before August ends.
     Paul Bruce Winnebago Co.